We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Technical Officer
Resume Due Date: Wednesday, September 20th, 2023 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Level: MP4 (Senior)
Duration: 24 months
Hours of work: 40
Location: 889 Brock Road, Pickering (Hybrid, 2 days remote)
The Technical Officer is accountable for the execution of assigned projects or tasks within OPG Nuclear and Decommissioning. This includes aspects of project management and support for the business unit including planning, organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of the life cycle of programs or projects, from inception to approvals to final acceptance. Technical work including developing decommissioning plans, creating decommissioning strategies, preparing community engagement plans etc. are considered a key part of the work along with support of general project deliverables.
- Develop various types of decommissioning plans through gathering and synthesizing data and writing reports with appropriate recommendations. A strong analytical and problem-solving background is useful.
- Participate with stakeholders for new initiatives with decommissioning including identification of stakeholders, setting up frameworks for communication and engagement and benchmarking projects to develop plan for new first-of-a-kind projects.
- Support Decommissioning in development of contract, project and procurement strategies, as well as business cases, project charters and gate funding requests.
- Develop, plan, organize, resources and/or resource commitments (internally/externally), to support various stages and reviews of decommissioning and vendor product.
- Take lead or support vendor in regular update meetings, workshops, challenge meetings by ensuring clear communication and lay out of roles, accountabilities and conduct of team members.
- Provide effective implementation of assigned projects and tasks meeting safety, quality, cost and schedule requirements.
- Coordinating, facilitating and driving project planning and execution.
- Report on project performance, detect challenges to safety, quality, cost and schedule sufficiently early to allow development and implementation of effective prevention, mitigation, or corrective actions to ensure projects are implemented meeting expectations.
- Assess project performance and forecast future cost and schedule performance including year-end forecasts and project estimates at completion.
- Prepare and maintain project management plans including risk, scope, cost, contract, safety and schedule management.
- Develop and maintain project scope and cost estimates.
- Initiate and coordinate project scoping and risk management workshops.
- Monitor project risks against risk management plan, maintain risk register, and update as required. Recommend and implement mitigation plans.
- Develop integrated, logically tied, resource loaded project schedules (Primavera) which incorporate identified scope, risks, estimates/budgets and constraints that support effective project management and field execution.
- Establish recommendations for project budgets, contingency and milestones.
- Recommend the project preferred alternative and prepare the business case justification including associated documents for gate review board submissions , senior management and Board approvals.
- Develop, recommend and implement contracting strategies.
- Evaluate vendor proposals, negotiate contracts, and make recommendation for contract award that provides the best value to OPG.
- Initiate, manage and administer contracts including payments and change orders.
- Monitor field installation verses contract terms and conditions and contractor schedules and work planning.
- Recommend strategies to mitigate contract cost and schedule impacts of field execution delays such as redeployment, scheduling and shift changes.
- Effectively integrate and use the OPG financial reporting systems.
- Identify and manage stakeholders and stakeholder input, including station resources.
- Ensure project is integrated with station processes as required.
- Requires knowledge of engineering/science/business encompassing subject areas relevant to the project planning, project management, contract management, oversight, scheduling, risk management and control as well as the business service needs of the division.
- Requires strong interaction in a project team environment with stakeholders and contractors, including relevant business and computer applications knowledge (Primavera, Microsoft Office, Cognos, Vision and Proliance), to develop and maintain computerized project information, costs, budgets and forecasts.
- Completion of a 4-year university degree in Engineering, Science, Business or Finance, or by having the equivalent level of education.
- Requires experience to become familiar with project controls principles, theories and concepts such as project scoping, risk management, estimating, budgeting and scheduling.
- Requires experience to become familiar with engineering and construction management concepts, methods and techniques.
- Requires experience to become familiar with the development and operation of various computerized systems and database, including business unit financial and work management systems.
- Requires experience to become familiar with corporate financial processes to initiate, manage, and administer contracts including payments and change orders.
- Requires experience to become familiar with departmental and divisional interfaces with other areas of the Corporation.
- Experience on planning and strategy for early phases of large projects is preferred.
- Strong combination of problem-solving skills and data analysis (e.g., using MS Excel) skills are important.
- Experience on projects within the nuclear industry or on decommissioning projects is an asset.
- Understanding of OPG processes and procedures is an asset.
- Effective at using Visio, Microsoft Office products, SharePoint is required.
- Knowledge of project management principles, including managing budgets and schedule is an asset.
- P.Eng. and PMP an asset.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
All applicants are required to complete a CSIS Security Clearance to be considered for employment in the Nuclear sector.
Failure to initiate/apply for a CSIS Security Clearance will result in your application being rejected.
- Job ID: 500-1868
- Job Type: Consultant (Incorporated Contractor)
- Number of Vacancies: 2
- Level: Senior
- Location: Pickering
- Duration: 24 months
- Closing Date: Wednesday, September 20th, 2023 (5:00PM EST)