We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Technical Engineer/Officer
Resume Due Date: Wednesday, May 17th, 2023 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duration: 18 months
Hours: up to 35 hours per week
Location: 1340 Pickering Parkway
- As directed, maintain and/or update operating and other specified department/ divisional procedures. Receive assignments relating to procedures from Supervisor or identify potential problems and opportunities. Discuss these with operating personnel or others as required to ensure current practices are recognized in the procedure. Prepare new or revised procedures consistent with operating licenses, policies, principles, department standard practices, standing instructions, maximum safety of operation, minimal risk of damage or loss, optimum frequency of routines; efficient operation and the like. Submit for review and approval.
- As directed, participate in training programs to further own development and assist in the development of others. Attend lectures, do assignments and write examinations. Develop training material and give lectures on specific topics, set and mark examinations and otherwise assist in training programs.
- As directed, prepare or help prepare specifications, for purchasing requisitions for material, services and equipment. Follow up with procurement and provide necessary technical services during field installation. Prepare recommendations for spare parts requirements for new equipment.
- As directed, prepare reports to provide information and data in answer to external requests or for historical purposes. Initiate studies or investigations where opportunities for improvement are apparent. In some instances, these opportunities may be identified by the Supervisor. Collect, or arrange for collection, and analyze data from past events or operations. Prepare reports, for distribution to various groups, outlining technical details of procedures, processes, results or conclusions and the roles played by various groups; such as, Ontario Power Generation, AECL, or other external organizations. The foregoing may include delivery of presentations. Provide explanations and answers to questions received from recipients of reports.
- As directed, recommend research and development programs required to improve equipment, system or unit reliability or performance, chemical control, material performance, rates and the like. Follow up on such research and development work and help coordinate as required. Provide all necessary information and assistance to facilitate such programs.
- As directed, review proposals received from internal or external sources related to assigned areas. Discuss proposal with originator as necessary to suggest changes or revisions as appropriate. Recommend disposition of proposal to Supervisor in writing for review and forwarding to approval authority.
- May be requested by Supervisor to gather and collate data for use in department budget preparation and to monitor variances to annual budget and submit to Supervisor for reporting purposes.
- Under the direction of the Supervisor, provide technical evaluations and advice, solve problems and coordinate technical work as required in support of the commissioning, operation and maintenance of the facilities.
- Receive assignments from Supervisor as well as identify potential problems and opportunities in assigned areas and/or systems in the facility.
- Assess, evaluate and recommend initial disposition of the problems as requiring: (1) further review and investigations, (2) abandonment of the problem as being the best alternative.
- Receive approval and discuss proposed solution, as required with other personnel; such as, section heads, shift supervisors, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) and Head Office specialists, designers in Ontario Power Generation or external to the Corporation.
- Prepare submission including cost justification or financial evaluation as appropriate; recommend adoption of the proposal and steps required to incorporate it. Submit these for approval or forwarding if necessary.
- Prepare as required and on receipt of authorization, detailed documentation of the proposal, such as equipment specifications, engineering calculations, installation, testing, operating and maintenance procedures and the like.
- Submit necessary documentation covering complete proposal for forwarding to responsible bodies for cost and installation approval if necessary. This includes Ontario Power Generation, AECL, Ministry of Consumer and Corporate Relations, Atomic Energy Control Board (AECB) International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) or other external organizations.
- Discuss installation or implementation with persons concerned and ensure, where possible, that the installation is as was intended.
- As requested by Supervisor, instruct staff as necessary through lecture, field training, operating procedure and the like. Keep abreast of maintenance and operating problems and take action to implement change as appropriate.
- Cooperate with other business units, divisions and organizations such as Canadian General Electric (CGE), Babcock & Wilcox Canada Limited (B&W), AECL, Ontario Power Generation Technology (OHT) and others in arranging for tests and providing appropriate documentation as required. Keep abreast of new developments in the field for use in incorporating same in department equipment or operation.
- Requires a knowledge of physics, chemistry, metallurgy, mathematics, electricity, engineering and economics to technically understand the operation of the facility.
- Requires advanced knowledge of one or more of these subjects to evaluate and propose improvements to processes, equipment and systems or to unit safety, reliability and performance.
- Requires a knowledge of English in order to prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations both verbally and in writing.
- Four-year University education in an appropriate engineering field or by having the equivalent level of education.
- Experience developing department/division procedures
- Experience on planning and strategy for large scale projects.
- Experience on projects within the nuclear industry or on decommissioning projects is an asset.
- Understanding of industry processes and procedures.
- Experience work at Pickering Nuclear Generating Station is an asset.
- Effective at using Visio, Microsoft Office products, Sharepoint.
- Knowledge of project management principles, including managing budgets and schedule.
- P.Eng an asset
- PMP an asset
- 6-8 years of post-university applied engineering experience.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
All applicants are required to complete a CSIS Security Clearance to be considered for employment in the Nuclear sector.
Failure to initiate/apply for a CSIS Security Clearance will result in your application being rejected.
- Job ID: 500-1822
- Job Type: Consultant (Incorporated Contractor)
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Level: Senior
- Location: Pickering
- Duration: 18 months
- Closing Date: Wednesday, May 17th, 2023 (5:00PM EST)