We are requesting resumes for the following position: Senior Technical Engineer/Officer
Resume Due Date: Tuesday, May 30th, 2023 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Level: MP5 (Senior)
Duration: 2 years
Location: 889 Brock Road, Pickering, Ontario
Hours: up to 40 hours per week
The Senior Technical Officer is accountable for the execution of assigned projects or tasks within OPG Nuclear, and Decommissioning. This includes aspects of project management and support for the business unit, including planning, organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of the life cycle of programs or projects, from inception and approval to final acceptance. Technical work including developing decommissioning plans, creating decommissioning strategies are also included.
- Provide effective implementation of assigned projects and tasks meeting safety, quality, cost and schedule requirements.
- Coordinating, facilitating and driving project planning and execution.
- Report on project performance, detect challenges to safety, quality, cost, and schedule sufficiently early to allow development and implementation of effective prevention, mitigation, or corrective actions to ensure projects are implemented meeting expectations.
- Assess project performance and Forecast Future cost and schedule performance including year-end Forecast’s and project estimates at completion.
- Prepare and maintain project management plans including risk, scope, cost, contract, safety, and schedule management.
- Develop and maintain project scope and cost estimates.
- Initiate and co-ordinate project scoping and risk management workshops.
- Prepare risk management plans with input from other project team members.
- Monitor project risks against risk management plan, maintain risk register, and update as required. Recommend and implement mitigation plans.
- Develop integrated, logically tied, resource loaded project schedules (Primavera) which incorporate identified scope, risks, estimates/budgets and constraints that support effective project management and field execution.
- Establish recommendations for project budgets, contingency and milestones.
- Recommend the project preferred alternative and prepare the business case justification including associated documents for gate review board submissions, senior management, and Board approvals.
- Identify actual and potential deviations from the approved annual, release, or life cycle budgets or schedules. Recommend and implement corrective actions.
- Develop, recommend, and implement contracting strategies.
- Evaluate vendor proposals, negotiate contracts, and make recommendation for contract award that provides the best value to OPG.
- Initiate, manage, and administer contracts including payments and change orders.
- Implement contractor oversight for technical and field execution work.
- Develop and maintain contract documents.
- Monitor field installation verses contract terms and conditions and contractor schedules and work planning.
- Review contractor training records and arrange training as required.
- Maintain required work protection qualifications as assigned by manager.
- Recommend strategies to mitigate contract cost and schedule impacts of field execution delays such as redeployment, scheduling, and shift changes.
- Review and obtain approvals for site safety plans, job safety analysis, and environmental plans.
- Participate or lead incident notifications, investigations, and recommend corrective actions.
- Support the business unit business planning process.
- Effectively integrate and use the OPG financial reporting systems.
- Apply the process to effectively execute assigned work meeting labor relations and collective agreement requirements.
- Conduct self-assessments and benchmarking.
- Implement a corrective management process.
- Plan and integrate projects and tasks with station Work control organization and processes.
- Provide oversight and input to safe work planning including impacts to nuclear safety, radiation safety, conventional safety, and environmental safety.
- Identify and manage stakeholders and stakeholder input, including station resources.
- Ensure project is integrated with station processes as required.
- Monitor field execution to ensure safety and quality standards are met.
- Assist with continuous improvement of project management, contract management, business processes and procedures.
- Document and distribute lessons learned.
- Develop and implement project oversight.
Other Duties as Required
- Develop various types of decommissioning plans through gathering and synthesizing data and writing reports with appropriate recommendations.
- A strong analytical and problem solving background is useful
- Participate in stakeholdering for new initiatives within decommissioning including identification of stakeholders, setting up frameworks for communication and engagement and benchmarking projects to develop plan for new first-of-a-kind projects.
- Support decommissioning in development of contract, project, and procurement strategies, as well we business cases, project charters and gate funding requests.
- Develop, plan, organize, resources and/or resource commitments (internally/externally), to support various stages and reviews of decommissioning and vendor product.
- Take lead or support vendor in regular update meetings, workshops, challenge meeting by ensuring clear communicating and lay out of roles, accountabilities and conduct of team members.
- Requires knowledge of engineering/science/business encompassing subject areas relevant to the project planning, project management, contract management, oversight, scheduling, risk management and control as well as the business service needs of the division.
- Requires strong interpersonal and communication skills to allow effective interaction in a project team environment with stakeholders and contractors, including relevant business and computer applications knowledge (Primavera, Microsoft Office, Cognos, Visio and Proliance), to develop and maintain computerized project information, costs, budgets, and forecasts. This level of knowledge is normally acquired by successful completion of a 4 year university degree in Engineering, Science, Business or Finance, or by having the equivalent level of education.
- Requires experience to become familiar with project controls principles, theories, and concepts such as project scoping, risk management, estimating, budgeting and scheduling.
- Requires experience of project management, contract management, project cost and schedule analysis and project planning within a project management support capacity.
- Requires experience to become familiar with engineering and construction management concepts, methods and techniques.
- Requires experience to become familiar with the development and operation of various computerized systems and databases, including business unit financial and work management systems.
- Requires experience to become familiar with corporate financial processes to initiate, manage, and administer contracts including payments and change orders.
- Requires experience to become familiar with departmental and divisional interfaces with other areas of the Corporation.
- A period of over 8 years and up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Experience on planning and strategy for early phases of large projects is preferred.
- Strong combination of problem solving skills and data analysis (e.g. using MS excel) skills are important.
- Experience on projects within the nuclear industry or on decommissioning projects is an asset.
- Understanding of OPG processes and procedures is an asset.
- Effective at using Visio, Microsoft Office products, Sharepoint is required.
- Knowledge of project management principles, including managing budgets and schedule is an asset.
- P.Eng an asset
- PMP an asset
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
All applicants are required to complete a CSIS Security Clearance to be considered for employment in the Nuclear sector.
Failure to initiate/apply for a CSIS Security Clearance will result in your application being rejected.
- Job ID: 500-1813
- Job Type: Consultant (Incorporated Contractor)
- Number of Vacancies: 2
- Level: Senior
- Location: Pickering
- Duration: 2 years
- Closing Date: Tuesday, May 30th, 2023 (5:00PM EST)