We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Senior Civil Engineer/Technical Officer
Employment Type: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Toronto, ON
Reporting to the Manager, Design Integration, the successful candidate will provide technical advice, guidance and consultation in development, management and control of design basis associated with civil, structural, and architectural disciplines during conceptual, preliminary, and detailed design phases of the APM Deep Geological Repository (DGR) project for Canada’s used nuclear fuel.
As a member of the Design Authority organization, the successful candidate will become the Subject Matter Expert of the design basis of civil, structural, and architectural Structures, Systems and Components (SSCs) of the APM DGR facility.
The successful candidate will be the technical expert in civil engineering and provide the THE CLIENT technical teams (both internal and external) with oversight design support on regulatory requirements. The engineering deliverables produced will support Regulatory License applications submitted to the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada and Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC).
This role will interface with a multi-discipline engineering team from traditional industrial, nuclear, and mining disciplines; technical teams from Safety Assessment and Geoscience, Environmental as well as the Regulatory Affairs team at the THE CLIENT.
- Perform as a technical expert in civil engineering.
- Provide technical guidance and consultation on design basis of civil, structural, and architectural Structures, Systems and Components (SSCs) and the associated regulatory requirements and industry standards. Ensure engineering designs and documentation are suitable and complete to support The Client’s permitting, License applications, and regulatory approvals.
- Lead projects and contracts. Participate in the development and issuance of contracting documents, Request for Proposal (RFP’s), evaluation and selection of contractors. Review work plans; review technical reports and outputs; monitor/report on contractor performance against work plans and schedule.
- Prepare, own, manage and control civil, structural, and architectural design basis documentation such as design requirements, design criteria etc.
- Review and accept civil, structural, and architectural designs prepared by external design contractors.
- Produce reports, presentations and/or other documents including design reports, design requirements, design criteria, engineering drawings, design descriptions, design manuals, design guides, technical specifications, technical design memorandums, etc.
- Participate and/or chair meetings with Regulatory Affairs group to ensure engineering technical documentation suite produced internally and by vendors satisfies regulations requirements.
- Interface with internal/ external parties throughout the lifecycle of the projects to provide recommendations on practical and effective solutions to Civil/structural decision basis as per applicable laws, regulations, codes, and standards.
- Ensure proper quality checks are performed by the respective project teams for all design work performed in compliance with The Client’s Conduct of Engineering governance.
- Organize and manage Independent Third-Party Code Compliance Reviews of engineering designs, where required, as per applicable laws, regulations, codes, and standards.
- Represent the The Client or support other The Client technical staff at public commission hearings or other regulatory bodies, conferences and workshops, and public facing events, as required.
- Stay current with developments within field of expertise through reference to relevant technical publications, and regular interface with internal and external experts and research and educational bodies.
- Provide support for the design and cost update as required.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A 4-year university degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from a recognized institution or an equivalent level of education.
- Over 6 years of relevant experience in Civil/Structural engineering consulting, EPC/EPCM, or relevant environment.
- Previous experience working on large industrial projects (nuclear, electrical generation, mines or metal mills, oil and gas facilities, or industrial facilities).
- Understanding and application of Conduct of Engineering governance including Engineering Change Control processes preferably in the nuclear sector
- Expertise in one or more discipline specific areas, e.g., structural design of steel and concrete structures (nuclear and/or mining), seismic engineering analysis, design of piping supports and hangers (nuclear and/or mining), etc.
- Experience in contract management (i.e., creation of requests for proposals, bid evaluation, ongoing management, contract close out, etc.).
- Experience in generating/assessing cost estimates for civil structures.
- Experience in project management, including plan development, resourcing, schedule tracking, contract management and problem resolution.
- Strong interpersonal skills: demonstrated ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team and interact with external contractors.
- Experience in communicating effectively in both oral and written form including excellent professional writing and presentation skills.
- Must be able to effectively apply theoretical and practical technical knowledge and use sound analytical thinking to solve problems in the appropriate subject areas.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical specifications and procedures, governmental regulation, policies and procedures and technical reports.
- Proven organizational and attention to detail skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Self-directed learner who displays initiative, problem recognition, synthesis and problem-solving ability.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with Professional Engineers of Ontario
- Experience in Design Oversight of external design contractors on behalf of Owner’s Organization
- Sound knowledge of the National Building Code of Canada (NBCC), National Fire Code of Canada (NFCC), and other civil discipline relevant national codes and standards used in the design, construction, and commissioning of nuclear, mining, and other heavy industrial facilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of CSA N286, Management System Requirements for Nuclear Facilities or ISO 9001, Quality Management Systems standards
- Working knowledge of the following key Civil/Structural codes and standards (note: this is not an exhaustive list):
- CSA-A23: Design of Concrete Structures.
- CSA-S16: Design of Steel Structures.
- CSA-O86: Engineering Design in Wood.
- CSA-S304: Design of Masonry Structures.
- CSA N287: Construction, fabrication, and installation requirements for concrete containment structures for nuclear power plants.
- CSA N289: General Requirements for Seismic Design and Qualification of CANDU Nuclear Power Plants.
- CSA N291: Requirements for nuclear safety-related structures; etc.
- Experience in Road and Stormwater System design and construction.
- Experience working with structural engineering design and civil design software like STAAD, AutoCad, Micro-Station, Civil 3D, NavisWorks, EarthWorks, etc.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada and must be able to meet security clearance requirements.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants are required to complete a CSIS Security Clearance to be considered for employment in the Nuclear sector.
Failure to initiate/apply for a CSIS Security Clearance will result in your application being rejected.
- Job ID: 108-008
- Job Type: Full Time (Employee)
- Number of Vacancies:
- Location: Toronto
- Closing Date: