We are currently requesting resumes for the following position: Human Factors Engineering Specialist
Resume Due Date: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Hours: up to 35 hours per week
Level: MP6 (Senior)
Duration: 2 years
Location: 889 Brock Road, Pickering
Provide Direct Output Support to OPG Nuclear. Provide expert technical direction in the area of Human Factors Engineering. In the area of Human Factors Engineering, develop and/or lead development of approved programs and/or solutions required to improve and sustain the performance of station systems, equipment or processes. Provide Direct Output Support to OPG Nuclear in one or more of the following areas:
- Provide expert technical direction in assigned area of expertise and responsibility
- Provide optimized engineering solutions based on specialized technical knowledge, practical application, resource availability and cost.
- Support the OPGN business plan through developing and implementing technical recommendations for the safe, reliable and cost effective operation of nuclear plants:
- Stay abreast of new technical methods and recommend options to realize opportunities to improve the performance of the business.
- Monitor methods used within the function/area of specialty, analyze shortcomings and recommend improvements.
- Prototype the application of new technology and, where required, carry out pilot projects to confirm feasibility of use within OPG N stations.
- Provide practical guidance on the application of codes and standards through knowledge of their underlying principles.
For a technical discipline where expert-level capability is deemed critical to the continued success of the business:
- Provide broad discipline expertise to the stations.
- Provide due diligence advice and summaries of specific major situations.
- Analyze very complex and non-standard technical problems in the stations and devise best way to resolve them.
- Assist station staff and others externally to implement approved solutions to problems.
- Remain informed regarding station performance of specified equipment/systems/processes, identify emerging performance issues and recommend how to deal with them.
- Provide advice to station staff to allow them to better understand, sustain and improve performance of equipment/systems/processes.
- Recommend OPG N technical programs, reflecting internal and external operating experience and industry/ technology trends, which maintain/improve the long-term performance of major processes, equipment or systems in the stations.
- Develop/lead development of approved technical programs to maintain/improve the long-term performance of major processes, equipment or systems in the stations e.g. standards, policies, methods, procedures.
- Coordinate implementation of specified technical programs to one or more stations as applicable.
- Maintain and access state-of-the-art knowledge of internal and external issues and solutions.
- Provide higher level technical verification of work carried out in the department and sites.
- Assist in the identification and delivery of technical training requirements and the development of department staff technical expertise, consistent with the direction of the department manager.
- Mentor engineering staff at a highly effective level.
- Incorporate the factors necessary to implement recommendations, e.g. prioritization, cost, resources, etc., when determining the optimum solution.
- Knowledge of engineering and mathematics, design, materials, construction, etc. as they pertain to nuclear power generation.
- Requires a detailed and in-depth technical knowledge and understanding of Human Factors Engineering and a base-level knowledge in related disciplines.
- Requires a knowledge of economics and business processes to conduct engineering studies, analyses and design activities.
- Requires good oral and written communications skills to provide leadership, make presentations and work with others.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired either through the successful completion of a four year university education in appropriate engineering subjects with specialization in Human Factors Engineering, Engineering Psychology , or related science.
- Requires experience and understanding of nuclear generation plant, equipment and systems, including a demonstrated expert-level of applied knowledge in at least one major discipline (e.g. Electrical Equipment, Plant Process Chemistry, Nuclear Safety Analysis) pertaining to a broad set of plant system and component behaviour relevant to that discipline, including good knowledge of design code requirements.
- Requires a broad understanding of CANDI-J power plant design, maintenance and operation, a strong knowledge of plant equipment, systems and processes and a good understanding of the regulatory requirements relative to the operation of a CANDI-J power plant.
- Requires a demonstrated ability to develop and implement innovative solutions to problems through developing alternatives to the normally applied methods, and selecting the best among them.
- Requires that recommended solutions be both practical and cost effective. Requires a demonstrated success in resolving situations requiring exercise of good judgment to deal with a significant degree of uncertainty, and a commitment to delivering results on time. Requires an excellent working knowledge of Canadian Codes, standards and Regulations and a general knowledge of U.S. and International Standards related to the discipline.
- Requires a good knowledge of OPGN procedures relative to work, a broad knowledge of OPGN engineering programs and standards and demonstrated commitment to high standards of procedural safety and regulatory compliance.
- Requires a demonstrated ability to represent OPG/OPGN interests in dealings with external stakeholders.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants are required to complete a CSIS Security Clearance to be considered for employment in the Nuclear sector.
Failure to initiate/apply for a CSIS Security Clearance will result in your application being rejected.
- Job ID: 500-1787
- Job Type: Consultant (Incorporated Contractor)
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Level: Senior
- Location: Pickering
- Duration: 2 years
- Closing Date: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 (5:00PM EST)