Position Title: Network Design Engineer
Location: Ottawa, ON (Hybrid, to be discussed based on the position requirements)
Hours: 40 hours per week
Employment Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Benefits: Comprehensive Benefits and Pension package to be discussed.
The selected candidates are required to complete a Security Clearance. This is a condition of employment.
- The Client has begun a journey to modernize our electric grid. At the heart of this modern grid is a sophisticated communication architecture that facilitates the seamless orchestration of intelligent devices. The key to success lies in establishing a robust and resilient communication network that can handle the vast amount of data generated by these devices. This network not
only enables real-time monitoring and control but also enhances the overall efficiency and reliability of the grid.
- They play a crucial part in capacity planning, end-to-end Service Assurance as well as fiber route planning. Responsibilities include developing and maintaining telecommunication standards, designing telecommunication infrastructure for substations, and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams to implement new technologies that support our Grid Modernization objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to architect and engineer scalable, high-performance telecommunication solutions that align with industry best practices and cybersecurity standards.
- Participate in fibre optic network design, topology layout, fiber splice plans, cable duct and routing.
- Evaluate fibre network design alternatives and make recommendations to optimize fibre usage and contain costs.
- Ensure fiber optic details are maintained in the GIS database platform including circuit assignments, records, logs, counts, fibre availability, loopbacks, splicing, coupler locations,
termination cabinets and panel locations, ductwork and duct access locations.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of The Client’s telecommunication standards.
- Assist in the development of our Company’s operations technology telecommunications roadmap.
- Design telecommunication infrastructure for green and brownfield substations.
- Support the creation of operations technology networks infrastructure maintenance and support procedures.
- Assist in troubleshooting and triaging any problems that arise in the network covering LAN, WAN, FAN and Security (firewalls) elements and support disaster recovery operations and security remediation and hardening.
- Monitor overall operations technology network resource usage for the purposes of capacity planning and support of the end-to-end Service Assurance.
- Work with field crews to troubleshoot and resolve telecom-related issues.
- Collaborate with field staff to assess, bench test and implement new telecommunication technologies and methods that enhance the operations.
- Review and analyze new technologies and make recommendations to enhance communication with field devices, improve capabilities, and reduce costs.
- May be required to participate in industry committees, panels, and conferences as a
representative of our Company.
- Participate in Business Continuity Plan and On Call programs, as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Professional Engineer, licensed or eligible for licensure in the province of Ontario
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Technology
- Minimum 3-5 years up to 8+ years of relevant working experience
- Understanding of networking, cybersecurity, data analytics and operational processes considered
- Technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as Ethernet, -48VDC
Power System, VHF/UHF, teleprotection, WAN, FAN, ICCP, DNP3, IEC 61850, ISO/IEC 27001
and ISA/IEC 62443, etc., considered an asset
- Knowledge of Ontario’s energy sector and regulatory framework considered an asset
- Knowledge of advanced distribution management systems considered an asset
- Strong computer skills; proficient in the use of office productivity and collaboration tools, preferably G Suite
- English essential, both oral and written; Bilingual (French/English) or other languages considered an asset
- Is analytical and logical
- Communicates effectively in writing and orally
- Has integrity and credibility
- Is accountable
- Is service oriented
- Is focused on excellence with an emphasis on quality, continuous improvement, learning and
- Is proactive, organized, priority focused and results oriented
- Is solutions oriented and innovative
- Inspires and develops others while managing performance and leading change
- Has interpersonal capability as it relates to influencing others and relationship building
- Is a team player and inspires teamwork
- Appreciates and leverages diversity
- Leads by example
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants are required to complete a CSIS Security Clearance to be considered for employment in the Nuclear sector.
Failure to initiate/apply for a CSIS Security Clearance will result in your application being rejected.
- Job ID: 810-001
- Job Type: Full Time (Employee)
- Number of Vacancies:
- Level: Senior
- Location: Ottawa
- Closing Date: